Happy New Year! Yes, I know, I’m a few days late. Everybody is already sick of talk of new year’s resolutions, but I’m going to talk about mine anyway. My initial thought had been to resolve to “blog more.” But “more” is too vague, and I don’t want to make blogging into a chore. I blog because I like to write about the awesome history of Michigan, and I don’t want to write because I feel like I have to. Which got me thinking – my favorite topic to write about is visits to museums, so instead of resolving to just “blog more,” why don’t I resolve to do more that will then inspire me to blog? Which is why I’m making 2014 The Year of Museums: I want to visit at least one museum a month for the whole year.
First off, reflection. Where did I go in 2013? How many museums did I visit? (I’m counting any kind of museum here – art, science, history, etc; but not other cultural institutions/locations that have museum-like qualities, i.e. the Detroit Zoo. Also, to be fair, I won’t count the museum I work at.)
In Michigan, I visited:
- Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit
- Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Frank Murphy Museum, Harbor Beach, MI*
- Historical Museum of Bay County, Bay City, MI*
- The Henry Ford, Dearborn, MI
I went to a few out of state museums as well:
- Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral, FL*
- Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, DC
*Denotes that it was my first visit to that museum
Seven museums – not bad. Still, it’s barely over half of my goal for this year.
Where do I want to go in 2014? There’s quite a few nearby museums I’ve been meaning to visit:
- Hamtramck Historical Museum: this one just opened up a few months ago – a great new addition to Metro Detroit history
- Detroit Historical Society
- Arab American Museum, Dearborn, MI
- Holocaust Memorial Center, Farmington Hills, MI
Those four will make a good place to start. I’m sure I’ll hit a few more Detroit, and I always search for local museums whenever I’m travelling out of town. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to visit museums all over Michigan. I’m sure one or two will be out of state, however, I’ll try to resist writing about those here!
What museums do you think I need to visit this year, both in the Detroit area and throughout the state? Let me know in the comments or on Twitter – I’m always open to suggestions!